Thursday, August 5, 2010

Want

A few years ago, Esalen had a slackline set up on the lawn outside the lodge. It was only a few feet off the ground, and the people who were walking it made it look easy and fun. So I gave it a try:


More humbling than it looks.

Hey! Looks like I'm doing pretty good here! I'm not clutching my cohorts' hands! I'm not off-center! I'm on one foot!

For about a second and a half.

The nylon line really quickly started to vibrate and swing back and forth. I pitched off, propelled and twangy and grassy.

My man just now sent me a link to Phillippe Petit's new classes in NY. Considering the slackline I tried was pretty much two-dimensional and still as hard as hell to stay upright on, I just can't imagine walking a metal rope that vibrates and twists. But damn, do I want to learn.

Just as easy as it looks.




No comments:

Post a Comment