Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Truth in advertising

This ad ran in Women's Day magazine:

I took their advice, but it didn't work. So I sent an email to the advertiser:



And hey, they responded:


I think about the creation of this ad. It's the result of someone's strategy. I think about the strategist, who may have said something like this:

"Women want more money. And if they have more money, they'll buy more douches, especially if they think it's the douching that got them the money in the first place. But they can't make more money unless they ask for raises, because they're chronically underpaid. So let's make them think that they got a raise because they've used our product, and they'll continue to use our product because they'll think it bumps up their bank balance. Oh, how we'll outsmart those silly ladies!"


Well played, Summer's Eve. Well played.




4 comments:

  1. At least they got that your email was sarcastic. You never know with people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back again because I just almost spat snot out my nose because this post popped into my brain.

    Not only is it probably the best ad I've ever seen, but the fact that you made an interactive feature out of it makes you the best person I've ever known.

    That is all.

    Zoƫ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an enormous compliment! It is truly gratifying to get spit- or snot- takes, especially from you. Thank you!

    We should all remember that I wrote this post not only for ladies like us, but also for ladies who would otherwise waste precious time and money prepping to ask for that raise. And, worthwhile to note, Summer's Eve is owned by CB Fleet. That's right.

    ReplyDelete