Friday, October 8, 2010

30 consecutive days of yoga, day 10

Lest you think I am completely new to yoga, I'll tell you that 1) They don't let you move to Boulder if that's the case, and 2) I've been doing yoga on and off (mostly off) for about 15 years. I even brought weekly classes to two companies I worked for with pretty good success. 
heavymetalyoga.org/

I started with Hatha, then moved on to Iyengar (some serious shit) and then Anusara. The spiritual aspect of any form of body-centered practice can be really wonderful. Personally, I find movement practices that are off the mat, include interaction with others, and that are facilitated, like Body Mantra and Soul Motion, more spiritually accessible. So I don't have expectations that yoga will transform my spiritual life. That having been said, I am totally open to it.

It certainly didn't happen tonight. Which was sort of unremarkable except for the fact that my friend Joy joined me! Joy was kind enough to donate her mat cover to my cause the other day, and she put up with the nerve-jangling music and the hot, humid, and smelly room this evening. Bless her.

What happened: After 10 days, I'm kind of bored. Is it that I have a short attention span? That I'm not connecting with the teachers? That I don't like to hear metal while I'm in dancer pose? I have only 20 more days to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you'll drop into a zone soon. At least you'll continue to get stronger - mentally too if you have to keep drowning out the sound of heavy metal music, think of it as the ultimate meditation. I bet you won't regret the experience, even if it's just to help you find out that you don't want to do it again :-)

    ReplyDelete