Monday, October 11, 2010

30 consecutive days of yoga, day 13

Hello, Denmark!

It's super cool that a number of people (besides my mom; hi, mom!) are following my experiences here. I can figure out who's coming from where from the most part, but Denmark has me stumped. So whoever you are, Hej der! 

On to day 13....
"I assure you that among the many gifts your presence brings to humanity, your ability to do a headstand is not at the top of the list," --Matt the yoga instructor

No shit.

Almost 10 years ago, I had three vertebrae in my cervical spine fused together with the femur from a cadaver. Gruesome and painful, yes. But also incredibly successful, which I credit to myself and my doctor in equal parts. I did absolutely everything he told me to do. And when he removed the neck brace I wore 24/7 for six weeks, he told me I could do absolutely anything I wanted to save for three things: bungee jump, skydive, and stand on my head. Check. Check. Check.

The experience I had in class today was exceptional. It was hard to keep up, and I was schvitzing like nobody's business, but I left feeling really, really clear-headed, calm, and hungry. I do not care that I cannot stand on my head. And I don't think I ever will. 

What happened: I got one toe off the ground in Crow. Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment