Thursday, October 28, 2010

30 consecutive days of yoga, day 30!


Well. There's that, then.

30 days on a yoga mat has taught me a thing or two about patience and acceptance. I'm not the same girl who was once mistaken for a Cirque du Soleil performer by a Cirque du Soleil performer. I don't teach 10 dance classes a week anymore. I eat what I like, when I like. I refuse to attempt to strong-arm my body into the exact proportions and shape it once was. I like it too much; it's what keeps me wandering this planet and it's what keeps me dancing.

Tonight I dedicated my practice to my dear friend Lou: a woman who has demonstrated more strength, grace, flexibility and humor than can be found in any yoga class, anywhere. I love you, Lou. If I could do on a mat what you do in your day-to-day world, I'd be the most sought-after yogini this side of India.

Here's what happened over the last 30 days:
  • My leg bones feel longer
  • I can dance more expressively; there's more strength to play with
  • I sleep much better 
  • My mood is generally brighter
  • I do laundry way more often (I have worn the same three tops all month)
  • I'm more flexible physically. Emotionally, we'll just have to see.
Will I keep going? Yes. My unlimited month doesn't run out for another week, after all. I'll probably take a day off here and there, though. 

Thanks for keeping up with me here. I've received a ton of encouragement from a lot of people, and I really appreciate it. Believe me, if I can do something for 30 days, so can you, and I think you should give it a go. It's a worthwhile trip.



1 comment:

  1. Nice job Hollie. You've inspired me... perhaps I'll give it a try and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete